Saturday, April 25, 2009

Weekend Working Getaway

Since I was going to be at the winery last Friday night and early Saturday morning helping get ready for the festival, I thought it would make sense to stay down there instead of making the extra commute home to Tucson for the night. My parents are kind enough to save me from sleeping on the winery floor and offered to put me up in a B&B in the area. They've done this before, and it's a treat for me to stay in peaceful, beautiful Sonoita and to check out the B&Bs. Before our grand opening day I spent a lovely night at the Sonoita Inn. This time I opted for Xanadu Ranch.

Bernie and Karen Kauk own and operate Xanadu Ranch, a charming B&B housed in a historic house with tile floors, comfortable furniture, and spectacular views in all directions. Xanadu Ranch is perfectly situated just a few minutes' drive from the Sonoita Crossroads, but almost a mile off of highway 83 so that it is perfectly peaceful there, the only sound at night the trickle of the fountain into the koi pond in the courtyard.

I could have stayed much longer, but it was off to work for me. Later Bernie and Karen stopped by Canelo Hills to check out the Wine & Farm Festival, and they brought their dog Jake. Bernie and Karen have been active in promoting the Sonoita-Elgin area and in bringing more people down to spend time in the wineries, restaurants, and B&Bs. We're glad to have such creative and dedicated neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment