Monday, March 2, 2009

On Tumbleweeds and Coyotes


If you are looking for the post referenced in our latest newsletter, this is it. To answer the question of what tumbleweeds and coyotes have in common at Canelo Hills Vineyard and Winery it is that after almost 6 years of doing battle they continue to outsmart me.

Every summer I think I am close to eradicating the tumbleweeds. Then each winter I walk to the fence at the end of the vineyard and there they are, stacked high, mocking me in my attempt to vanish them. They know they each have already deposited all 200,000 of their seeds as they tumbled their way to the fence.

As for the coyotes, last summer, in our third attempt to keep them out, Tim filled their entrance hole with boulders and rebar. They were not only capable of moving the boulders out of the way but also pushed the rebar to the sides. I'll tell you, that hole and pathway are getting deeper and deeper. We will try something else soon but somehow, I don't think I am going to win this war.

No comments:

Post a Comment