Thursday, April 21, 2011

Spring 2011

This is my first blog about the vineyard in a while.  After last August's hail storm that severely damaged the vines, I haven't known what to say.  Now that spring is here, the truth of what did and what did not survive is unfolding.  What I am learning about farming is that it is not romantic and only sometimes fun. But it is life which at its best is beautiful and awesome.  At its worse, heart breaking.  Like all disasters, there is bad news in the vineyard.  And, like all disasters, there are some miracles of survival.  I will share with you the good and the bad as the truth of it becomes apparent.  I am choosing to start with the miracle of life.













There will be no Malvasia this year.  Every trunk and cordon is dead. However, since these vines were own-rooted, the roots are sending up new shoots, not every plant, but some. I will be able to train these for future fruit. I find that miraculous.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the set back. The new growth looks promising. I Hope to visit this year. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete