Wednesday, April 9, 2008

If You've Ever Been a Mother...


don't become a wine grape grower!

This picture shows what we call, "bud burst." It signals spring is here and these little babies want to start to boogie! The problem is that the last frost isn't usually until the end of the month so odds are that these beautiful buds will get crispy fried before they have a chance to fully grow into long beautiful shoots that will produce grapes.

This means that as their chief caretaker, I am going to spend the next several weeks watching the weather and hovering over the grape vines, trying to talk them into going back into dormancy. Of course, like children, they will not listen to me and will continue to venture further out into the world.

I guess there is one good thing that comes out of my hovering over my vines. My adult children must be overjoyed I now have something other than them to spend my worrying time on. How about it, Kathryn and Ian?

2 comments:

  1. well, a few thousand miles helps too. ;)
    good luck with the buds, here's to no more frosts.
    l-e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ian, What you don't know. The long reach of a mother's worry can span continents. You can run but you can't hide. By the way, did you remember your umbrella this morning? It looks like it might rain in New York City today! Wouldn't want yo to get wet and catch cold and.......

    ReplyDelete