Sunday, March 18, 2007

Pruning Time


Pruning is a time of suspense, hope, anticipation, disappointment and joy. Before I cut into each vine I wonder if it has survived the winter. Fortunately this spring I have experienced much joy, as with most cuts I felt the blade slide easily through the vine and saw the green wood start to ooze its life blood. This signals that the vine has indeed survived. This is the first season I have experienced so little winter kill. It’s nice to start the season so positively, since I’ve learned that with farming things can change in an instant.

The pruning is almost done for the season, thanks to help from Tim, daughter Kathryn and my friend Kathy. It is none too soon as we have been experiencing temperatures 10 to 15 degrees higher than normal. Let’s hope we do not get a killer frost in the next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment